Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Ohio vs. Illinois | Different Worlds

So I am currently in Ohio visiting my folks, dropping off the kids before my wife and I take a business/pleasure trip to Las Vegas. My folks have been kind enough to offer to watch my hellions, I'm sure after this weekend the offers wont be so common. I'm staying awake watching baseball history as Boston comes back from a 3-0 deficit to win the pennant. Congrats beantown!

The problem I have with watching the baseball, is the absolute bombardment of political advertisements! Living in Illinois, we get exactly, zero. I mean no political ads! How would I, or anybody living in my state, have any idea who to vote for without all the informational commercials letting me know that Bush is the devil and Kerry is queer. (sorry, homosexual). I've been here 2 hours and already I'm sick of the ads, I can't imagine living here. My parents inform me that they have 4 to 5 voice mail messages daily on some political topic. Some computerized recording of a Bush or Kerry pusher, selling their dope.

Look, I've no problem with all the ads. I can sometimes find them quite funny. What I don't understand is why politicians think it helps to pour it on. Does it? My parents turn the tv off, or simply mute, or tune them out. They have no effect. They hate Kerry all the more for what the feel are misleading ads. They live in a town that is so democratic, that the two candidates running for mayor, were both democrats. Why all the ads from moveon and mediafund and Kerry etc etc. By the way, in the time I've been here, Kerry ads have outnumbered Bush ads about 7 to 1.

It leads me to the conclusion I'd made earlier anyway. The race is over. Bush has won, and the only question is how badly will Kerry get beat. The way the politicians are playing in blue states, the way the polls are turning in Bush's favor, the way rhetoric from Kerry is getting more and more extreme points to the conclusion that Bush will win it handily, and both Kerry and Bush already know it. We'll see how divided the country is, come November 2nd. We'll see.

By the way, I know these posts have recently been relatively philosophical without much meat. I'll get into the meat later. Just relax, enjoy the noise from the talking heads, have some laughs at the antics and rhetoric, and we'll get down to serious business when I'm back from Vegas.